Frequently asked questions for Students
- What kinds of things can you help me with?
We can help you:
- get a GED
- get a driver’s license
- read to your children
- read your mail, newspaper, Internet, prescriptions, etc.
- live more easily without help from others
- find, keep, or get a better job
- study for the U.S. citizenship test
- speak in English to others
- How often do I meet with my tutor?
Usually you meet with your tutor weekly for 1-2 hours.
- When do I meet with my tutor?
You meet at a time that works for both of you.
- What if I can’t make a meeting with my tutor?
You’ll have your tutor’s phone number. Please call them as soon as you’re able and schedule another time.
- How do I get a tutor?
Simply fill out an application or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We’ll find a tutor for you.
- How much does it cost?
Our services are free. Tutors give their time. We do ask that you buy your beginning textbook if you are able to afford it (usually about $24). If you cannot afford it, scholarships are available.
- What ages do you serve?
We help adults age 18 and older.
- Are you interested in getting a GED or HSED? Here’s what you need to know.
Requirements: You must provide proof that you have resided in Wisconsin for at least 10 days and provide proof that you are least 18.5 years old.
GED or HSED? The two most common options are the GED (Certificate of General Education Development) and the HSED (High School Equivalency Diploma). The GED is accepted by most employers and technical and community colleges. Some employers, universities, and branches of the military require an HSED. You can decide which option is best for you.
How to study for the tests: There are different ways to study for the tests. Two options are:
- You can enroll in a Lakeshore Technical College* HSED or GED Instruction class at a cost of $20 per semester. And a Literacy Council tutor can help you with your studies on top of your going to the class at LTC.
- You can buy the GED books and study on your own or with the help of a tutor.
What are the tests I need to pass? To get just the GED in Wisconsin, you need to pass four tests plus Civics. The four tests are: • Mathematical Reasoning • Reasoning through Language Arts • Science • Social Studies
Each of the four tests costs $33.75.
The Civics test costs $10.00.
What are passing test scores? • GED Tests: It is necessary to acquire a minimum score of 145 out of 200 on each GED test in order to pass. • Civics test passing score is 60 out of 100 questions correct.
*If you would like to sign up to attend GED or HSED classes at Lakeshore Technical College, you can call 920-208-5888 or visit the website at https://gotoltc.edu.
Frequently asked questions for Tutors
- Is there a cost to attend training?
No. Training is provided at no cost to you, and we provide all the instructional materials for you to use with your student. After the training, when you eventually get matched with a student, we will provide you with options for teaching materials.
- What is the tutoring schedule like?
Tutoring schedules are flexible to suit tutor and student availability. On average, a tutor spends two hours a week preparing and tutoring their student. Students and tutors meet at mutually agreed upon times and places. For example, public libraries are often chosen as meeting places while others choose to meet virtually on platforms such as Zoom.
- Do I need to have experience as a tutor or teacher?
No prior tutoring or teaching background is needed to become a tutor—just patience, a high school diploma, and a desire to help an adult improve his or her English literacy.
- Where does the tutoring take place?
You and your student will meet at your local public library or other public spaces like the Generations Building in Plymouth. You don’t go to your student’s home and your student does not come to your home. Virtual tutoring is also an option.
- What do I need to do to attend the training?
Advance registration is required for training sessions so that we are prepared with supplies and training space. Please contact us to register by emailing us at email@example.com.